[cvsnt] Troubleshooting CVS speed

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Nov 21 11:28:11 GMT 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:26:10 +0100, "Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net>
wrote:

>> It is my understanding that :ntserver: has been depreciated for a while
>now in
>> CVSNT.
>
>Not in the stable builds. 1.11.1.4 is still labelled Alpha so I think it
>will be still some significant time until use of :ntserver: even starts to
>phase out. Removing support for it in a client tool should be one of the
>very last steps along that path IMHO. Look at how many people are still
>using even more outdated servers (1.10 and such). The people maintaining the
>"never touch a running system" mentality might not be very vocal on
>development fora (why should they) but I still think they make up the
>majority of users/admins.

:ntserver: is depreciated, it just still works for now.  People who don't upgrade
will never have the problem, so there's no issue there.  Certainly
it's better to disable the client side first rather than the server
side, as someone installing a new server might not have the ability to
upgrade all the clients at the same time.

It'll be a while before the current development becomes the next
stable build anyway - I've got quite a bit to do with it but little
time to actually do it at the moment.

ATM I recomment people avoid ntserver in new installations, so there's
no upgrade issues later.