[cvsnt] Emailing Summary of Commits

John Hall john.hall at optionexist.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 09:20:34 BST 2003

> Right now, we are receiving emails for every commits
> on our CVS. We need to be notified what modules
> have been affected,what are the changes and who
> made the changes. And that's a lot of emails as we
> commit quite often. Reading all of them can be quite
> tedious so we don't bother reading them anymore
> sometimes. Is there anyway we can just receive an
> email with the summary of commits for the day based
> on modules and the description of changes?

I don't think this does quite what you want, but you might be able to
use them as some basis. Attached are a pair of scripts I use to batch up
commit messages and then send them periodically through the day.

The first, cvs_loginfo_email.pl, appends content to a file that the
second, cvs_process_mail.pl sends as an e-mail when executed by the task
scheduler in Windows. The e-mails they produce are in HTML format, since
they contain hyperlinks into both ViewCVS and Bugzilla (any string of
the format bug x in a commit message becomes a hyperlink).

cvs_loginfo_email.pl takes an extra argument at the end to specify the
e-mail address to send e-mail to. It appends a file in a directory
specified at the top of the script of the same name. A loginfo entry
would look like this:

^test   perl c:\bin\cvs_loginfo_test.pl "%{sVv}" $USER
test-cvs at localdomain

Feel free to send me any improvements and feedback if you do find these
useful.

Regards,
John