[cvsnt] Installation of CVSNT

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Apr 30 20:17:03 BST 2003

Doyle Fouquet wrote:

> After Installation, which was done with system priviledges.  After the
> installation the system priviledges were removed for my account.  I click
> on the icon (green fish) on the control panel and get a message box saying
> "couldn't open service control manager - Access Denied".   If you click
> OK, you get the CVSNT window with tabs, Service Status, Repositories,
> Advanced, SSL settings", depressing "Start" in the CVS service box yields
> the message "Couldn't start service: the handle is invalid"  What have I
> done wrong and how do I solve the problem.

Only an administrator can control system services.  You have to get your
system administrator to either setup the service or give you enough
privileges to administer the account.

btw. there is a good reason to force administrator privileges when
administering cvsnt services.  The service has the ability to become any
user...  It's relatively easy to craft a combination of passwd/loginfo
which will execute as a system administrator (I won't go into details but
the hack is rounghly on the level of 'trivial').  Because of this only
trusted users should be able to alter the passwd file.