[cvsnt] ls -r tag-R module -> "Too many open files"

Dirk Fieldhouse fieldhouse at logica.com
Thu Aug 7 17:50:39 BST 2003

We have CVSNT 2.0.8 running on W2k Pro (but the same problem was seen with
the earlier 1.x version).

After issuing the command

cvs -d :sspi:<repository> ls -R -r some_tag some_module

we get error reports like the following

cvs server: cannot open c:/repository/pathname/file: Too many open files

and finally

cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

This seems to depend on the some_module specified. The failing module (an
ampersand module) has received a large number of committed files but most
of the failing files are associated with directories that are now empty of
files, having been removed to the attic.

I'm considering checking out the latest version of this module, renaming
it using the modules file and then recommitting the latest files to a new
module. This isn't really desirable.

Has anyone got any ideas about this?

regards

/df