[cvsnt] cvs / subversion discussion

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Aug 15 15:15:19 BST 2003

What's this binary delta stuff really? Do you mean that it will be used to
save stoarge space and transfer bandwidth or is the plan also for binary
merges?
Which I doubt very much will ever work....

And concerning SQL, does this mean that we can choose a server to use or
will it be bound to the MySql that I saw mentioned earlier? I guess that
Oracle was just a blind shot...

What about setting up the system, can it be expected to be done by the
common software guy or do we need more expertise here?
We ship software that uses SQL technology and we include the MSDE2000
engine from MS to do it. The setup is now almost transparent but it has
required a lot of effort and custom programming for InnoSetup to get there.
But we thank God we are not anymore with InstallShield anyway since with
their MSDE built in support it is impossible to easily distribute quick
SQL patches. The ones published by MS do not work because InstallShield
modified the GUID:s ...

Warning flagged for the NT authentication stuff with MSDE2000! We ran into
that beast also. It turns out that this can only be used within domains and
cannot (AFAICT) be routed. So we had to invest a lot of time to switch the
system over such that TCP/IP and SQL authentication could be used instead.
Not easy to install so that this works.

/Bo