[cvsnt] RFC: Depereciating file based locking

Warren, Erik Erik.Warren at delta.com
Thu Dec 11 16:25:16 GMT 2003

What actions would need to be taken by users who still employ file based locks:

There are those who continue to use file based locking because they installed CVSNT before you created the lock server.  Since these people don't update their server and client software anyway, then there will be no impact on these users.  They can continue running their currently installed CVSNT service exactly as before with no problems.

There are those who continue to use file based locking because the default cvsroot/config file packaged with CVSNT is setup that way.  These people are probably running the lockserver (since that is the default when you install the server software) but not using it out of ignorance of the settings in the cvsroot/config file.  These folks will need to edit cvsroot/config and nothing more (I think).  I was in this group myself for several weeks after setting up CVSNT in our office.  It was only due to reading about the lockserver on this mailing list that I realized that I needed to change cvsroot/config to take advantage of the lock server.

There are those who have made the conscious decision to use file based locking for their own reasons.  Not falling within this category, I cannot speculate on what those reasons might be.

I suggest, at a minimum, that the cvsroot/config file packaged with CVSNT be changed to uncomment the lockserver line and then only those with a good reason will enable file based locks and when you ask these kind of questions they will have a ready answer.

Regardless of the outcome, my hat is off to Tony et.al. for all their fine work!

Erik W. Warren
Sr. Engineer - Flt. Ops. Engineering
Delta Air Lines
Dept. 088