[cvsnt] CVSnt versus (*nix) CVS?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Dec 12 20:50:10 GMT 2003

> > "CVSNT was started as a conversion of cvs pserver for NT.
> It has since
> > been greatly improved..."
>
> Actually IIRC Glen wrote that.... :)

I probably did do that :)  It's true!

> I'm just a bit paranoid about starting a slanging match
> between different
> projects...  I've seen it too much in the OSS world (eg. kde vs gnome,
> emacs vs vi, etc.)  CVS vs CVSNT (vs Subversion vs Arch)
> would be a bit
> much!

Agreed--and there's really no CVS vs. CVSNT competition anyway.  If you are
ultra-conservative then you could look at CVSNT as a breakaway branch that
is testing out new technology vs. the stable, slow moving, more tested CVS.
Now that Derek (I think that was his name) has proposed starting to migrate
some functions back into CVS, it underscores this.

The other comparisons, emacs vs. vi and kde vs. gnome would be MUCH harder
to port things back and forth between FWIK since they are each totally
separate codebases.  I haven't been around those arguments enough to know,
but I wouldn't imagine that any serious problems have arisen... But some
fantastic products resulted from that competition.  Capitalism fundamentals
in OSS?!  Now I'm getting WAY off topic...

Regards,

Glen Starrett