[cvsnt] Issues

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Dec 17 17:58:26 GMT 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:16:12 -0800 (PST), Shravan Durvasula
<s_k_d_23 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello all:
>
>I have just started working with CVS. I just had a few questions. I greatly appreciate for your time and patience.
>
>1. My CVSNT server is on a WindowsXP Pro machine. To allow users to checkout from other remote Windows machines i had to make my repository (c:/cvsrepo) and temporary directory (C:/cvstemp) sharable. Is this the only way to do or is there a better way to do it?

This is NOT the way to doit. In fact it is highly discouraged to use a
share on the drive where the CVS repositories are stored. All accesses
to these files should be done via the CVSNT *service* on the server
PC.

>2. To add new users to my CVSNT server, i used the "cvs passwd -a <USERNAME>" command. Now how do i remove a particular user? Also, how do i see the list of all the current users?

To remove a user use the -X switch on the cvs passwd command.

If you open the file passwd in the CVSROOT subdirectory of the
repository then you can read the list of entered users there. Of
course in order to do this you must have physical access to the server
PC, because as stated above you should not create any shares on this
drive.

>3. The remote machines that talk to my CVSNT server currently have "WINCVS 1.3" as their client. But this needs administrative privileges to be installed. So, is there a client available for CVSNT server that does not need admin privileges to be installed? Something like a command line package.

CVSNT itself is a command line package and needs nothing special to be
installed. In fact you only need to put the files in a folder and make
your path variable point to this folder in order to use cvs.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)