[cvsnt] create new repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Feb 5 19:32:47 GMT 2003

When you connect to a cvs server you have to specify a repository as
the last parameter. Your connection is to *that* repository. The files
in this repository's CVSROOT directory defines who will have access
(passwd), which email addresses users have (users) etc. There is also
a config file there defining how this repository should act, for
example how user authentication should be done.
All in all the repositories are pretty much individual items totally.
So how did you imagine that you could connect remotely to a repository
and then create *another one*??
Which type of authentication should be used? Etc, etc.
It simply cannot be done in any other way than using the :local:
connection when actually sitting at the computer console.
(And for CVSNT on Windows NT by using the Control Panel configuration
utility.)

/Bo

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:01:52 -0200, "Desenv" <desenv at automat.com.br>
wrote:

>when i try to create a new repository, i enter in the command line:
>
>"cvs -d :pserver:<user>@<host>:<new_repository> init"
>
>But the server returns a message like i didn't have entered my 'real password' like he says.
>Also, he tells me there's no such repository. Of course ther isn't! That's why i'm trying to create it!!!
>
>First, i thought it was a problem of admin permission, but i created the admin file inside cvsroot directory and all others admin commands are working, so i figured that's not the matter.
>
>Anybody has any clue what i gotta do to create my new repository? (other than on the server machine)
>
>thanks a bunch!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)