[cvsnt] Permissions on checked out files?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Feb 5 20:02:00 GMT 2003

Neil Campbell wrote:

> I have cvsnt running which I access from a linux box to add
> and checkout files from the cvsnt repository to/from the linux
> box. I notice when I add a new file which has linux execute bit
> set that when the file is checked out the execute bit is lost;
> this is different to how an add/checkout would work with
> a repository on linux (which would retain the permissions on
> the checked in file). Is this simply a feature of how cvsnt
> works; i.e. a restriction because of NT's differing permissions
> mechanism or is there someway to work around this?

With recent versions (server+client) the execute bit is preserved - this was
always a non-standard extension, called 'PreservePermissions' which some
vendors allowed by default.. the cvsnt version has the buggy parts removed
and just concentrates on the execute bit.  It has to be enabled on your
client to work correctly, also.

If you modify the file subsequently on an NT machine and check it in the
execute bit is lost again, because NT has no such permission.