[cvsnt] $Name$ and update

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 6 10:54:19 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:24:39 +0100, "David Rouillon"
<drouillon at rexel.fr> wrote:

>How can I force change of $Name$ Key?

I'll refer you to a quote from comp.software.config-mgmt which
describes this key (the only documentation I can find):

"$Name$ is only expanded when you check out or export, a revision
using its tag.

If you check out a revision using a version tag, the tag is made
sticky, which is usually useless. The primary use for $Name$ is seem
so to be track files that were exported with cvs export and are thus
outside of the context of the version control system. (Indeed, such
keywords are useless in files that are within the context of the
version control system).  Thus if you were making a source code
release, you might do something like

	cvs export -r release_1_10 myproject

The export command makes it mandatory to specify a revision argument."