(Fwd) Re: [cvsnt] Permissions on checked out files?

Stuart Halliday stuarth at ecs-tech.com
Thu Feb 6 11:38:44 GMT 2003

On 5 Feb 2003 at 20:02, Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Neil Campbell wrote:
>

> > I have cvsnt running which I access from a linux box to add
> > and checkout files from the cvsnt repository to/from the linux
> > box. I notice when I add a new file which has linux execute bit
> > set that when the file is checked out the execute bit is lost;
> > this is different to how an add/checkout would work with
> > a repository on linux (which would retain the permissions on
> > the checked in file). Is this simply a feature of how cvsnt
> > works; i.e. a restriction because of NT's differing permissions
> > mechanism or is there someway to work around this?
>
> With recent versions (server+client) the execute bit is preserved - this
> was always a non-standard extension, called 'PreservePermissions' which
> some vendors allowed by default.. the cvsnt version has the buggy parts
> removed and just concentrates on the execute bit.  It has to be enabled on
> your client to work correctly, also.

And how does one enable this feature? :-)

I don't see 'PreservePermissions' in the documentation in the Cederqvist
PDF file (linux CVS) or in the CVSNT docs cvsnt-1.11.1.3-68-doc

> If you modify the file subsequently on an NT machine and check it in the
> execute bit is lost again, because NT has no such permission.

I thought it just used the hidden flag on a file on a NTFS disk to indicate
Execute permission?

I'm puzzled as to why it's considered 'non standard' as surely people would
_want_ their permissions to remain intact when using a pserver across a
network? :-)

--
Stuart Halliday
ECS Technology IT Support