[cvsnt] binary file question

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Feb 22 16:36:12 GMT 2003

Bruce Hill wrote:

> I've run into this problem too.  WinCVS produces a particularly garbled
> file, but the trailing CRLF can also be a problem.
> Has there been any discussion of a -o option to allow specifying the
> output
> filename?   The only reason -p is used in these situations is that there
> is no other way to create an older version of a file under a new filename
> without stepping on the current file.

It's harder than that because cvs tends to work in groups of files not just
single ones...  I've looked at it once or twice and it's decidedly
non-trivial to implement something like that.

You can always use '-kb' to update a file to avoid the linefeed - Binary
files don't get it - you just then have a file with unix linefeeds (which
may be better or worse depending on what you want it for).  That said, 95%
of the time it's not an issue because most text files end in linefeed
anyway.