[cvsnt] Hangs when checking in binary files

laust.rud+cvsnt at spamcop.net laust.rud+cvsnt at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 22 18:22:51 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm using latest CVSNT version, 1.11.1.3 (Build 72) both at the client and
server, with SSPI to connect.

I have a bunch of files which used to be regular text files. As they have
to be converted to unicode, I have changed their -k flag to be -kb using
the command: cvs admin -kb. As a note, I don't use the unicode mode, as I'm
not interested in UTF-8 encoding.

What happens when I check in the new version of the file is that sometimes
(most of the time), the process simply hangs. As far as I can see from the
log, it is because the diff never returns.

The temp-files described below still exists. cvs244.tmp *does* contain the
current version from CVS (that text is in ANSI encoding). cvs245.tmp,
however, is empty.

I'm not sure why this fails, but it makes life fairly difficult as the
service has to be stopped/started each time it hangs. I know of no other
way to handle the situation, as the locks hang there forever.

Below is what I believe is the relevant part of the log:

Checking in T3-B3.html;
d:/cvsroot/2002/Files/Templates/News/T3-B3.html,v  <--  T3-B3.html
S -> checkout (d:/cvsroot/2002/Files/Templates/News/T3-B3.html,v, 1.1, -kb, D:\cvstemp\cvs344.tmp)
S -> checkout -> <
S -> Insert delta at head (1.1,1.2)
S -> get_file(T3-B3.html,T3-B3.html,rb)
S -> get_file ->  ¦<
S -> diff_exec(T3-B3.html,D:\cvstemp\cvs344.tmp,(null),(null),-a -n --binary,D:\cvstemp\cvs345.tmp)

The get_file return-value doesn't look too good to me. Don't know what it
should have been, but it looks like garbage?

Hmm, I just tried to stop the service, empty the temp-folder, and the
problem has disappeared. There were quite a large number of folders and
files in the temp-folder. Perhaps that was the cause.

Any suggestions as to what went wrong?

Regards,
/Laust Rud Jensen
--
"Thanksgiving is early this year because the first Thursday fell on a Monday." - DNRC