[cvsnt] Re: Read only / permission / watched files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Jan 5 22:10:24 GMT 2003

Thierry Moreau wrote:

> When I committed a couple of files (one add, one update), they came up
> with a "permissions 666;" indication in the repository (the fine
> source_xyz.c,v). Other files in the repository are from RCS 5.7, so they
> are silent about "permissions ...;".

The "permissions" are the permissions of the checked-in file.  cvs always
makes checked out read/write unless you use '-r' AFAIK (WinCVS has a switch
for this).  Really it's only there to record the execute bit for unix shell
scripts - the read/write status tends to be implicit in the command you're
doing... files in the sandbox should be read/write normally.

> The CVS/fileattr file has an entry "Fsource_xyz.c _watched=" as
> expected, and I set up the $CVSREAD environment variable to some value.
> (I must admit that I did set $CVSREAD *AFTER* the "permissions 666" came
> un in the repository, but a subsequent commit to these files didn't
> change the "permissions value").

AFAIK "CVSREAD" only affects the initial checkout.  I'm not 100% sure if
WinCVS gets around this somehow or whether it has the same restriction.

> When I do a cvs checkout or a cvs update, these two files come up
> read-write in the working directory. It defeats my purpose of having
> specified "cvs watch on" for them, isn't it?

'watch' will trigger the notify script when you commit a change to the file.
If you checkout read only you can use the 'edit -c' and 'commit -c'
commands.  It's far better to just forget about it, though, and let cvs do
what it's good at :-)