[cvsnt] Read only / permission / watched files

Thierry Moreau Thierry.Moreau at Connotech.com
Sat Jan 4 04:20:14 GMT 2003

Hi everyone,

I would like to rely on the cvs edit / cvs unedit (or cvs commit) for
managing the read-only attributes of files in the working directory.

When I committed a couple of files (one add, one update), they came up
with a "permissions 666;" indication in the repository (the fine
source_xyz.c,v). Other files in the repository are from RCS 5.7, so they
are silent about "permissions ...;".

The CVS/fileattr file has an entry "Fsource_xyz.c _watched=" as
expected, and I set up the $CVSREAD environment variable to some value.
(I must admit that I did set $CVSREAD *AFTER* the "permissions 666" came
un in the repository, but a subsequent commit to these files didn't
change the "permissions value").

I do not have a .cvsrc file (or I didn't find it).

When I do a cvs checkout or a cvs update, these two files come up
read-write in the working directory. It defeats my purpose of having
specified "cvs watch on" for them, isn't it?

Can someone provide an explanation?

Is there a cvs command or mechanism to update the "permissions 666" in
the repository?

Incidently, this is a Windows NT local installation, and I got a recent
distribution 1.11.1.3 (build 64) which installed nicely.

Besides this small nuisance, CVS appears as a very sound solution to the
challenges of source code control. Thanks to all who contributed.

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier