[cvsnt] Re: cvs [server aborted]: unknown command: watch_on

Steinar O. Cook steinar at balder.no
Wed Jan 8 13:37:24 GMT 2003

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:avgrjt$t2o$3 at sisko.nodomain.org...
> Steinar O. Cook wrote:
>

> > My CvsNT client is version:  1.11.1.3 (Build 65) (client/server). The NT
> > server version is build 57, while the Unix server version is 1.11.12.
> >
> Watches are broken on Unix cvs 1.11.2, you need a later version (or use
> cvsnt on the unix server).

Hmmm, but I managed to make it work in both cases:

case a)
        Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3 (Build 65)
(client/server)
        Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57a)
(client/server)
    1) Logged in on the CVSNT server as Administrator
    2) Set CVSROOT to use the :local: protocol
    3) Checked out the project
    4) Executed the "cvs watch on" command successfully

case b)
    Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3 (Build 65)
(client/server)
    Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.2 (client/server)

    1) Logged in on the Unix server with my own userid
    2) Set the CVSROOT variable to use the :local: protocol
    3) Checked out the project
    4) Executed the "cvs watch on" command successfully

Is this the way it should be? I.e. am I utilizing CVS the way it was
designed to be used?