[cvsnt] Re: reoccurring 'invalid change text' errors

Lionello Lunesu lionello.lunesu at crystalinter.remove.com
Thu Jan 9 09:35:09 GMT 2003

Hi Tony,

Remember me, the other guy with those 'invalid change text' errors :-S
I got some more info on them.

I found out it's a client issue. Even if the server is not using NAV, but
the client is, the problems still occur. Unfortunately, most users install
their own cvs.exe (from wincvs/tortoise/whatever) so there's not much that
can be done about that (anything like the warning in the CVSNT setup).

However, seeing as the server apparently DOES write this invalid change
text, there should be more that can be done about it, at the server side.
For example, a client suddenly committing an empty file would be very
suspicious....

Anyway, we completely removed NAV from out CVS server, but not all
programmers have disabled the 'protection' on the local cvs dirs. And, a
file that one of them was working on just got corrupted...

WHAT exactly do you think is going on? Is it comparable to 'committing an
empty file'? Why would the server except something that caused it to write
invalid change text?

L.