[cvsnt] Read-write file after commit using "cvs watch on"

Jonas Bergvall Jonas.Bergvall at ibitec.se
Fri Jan 10 15:06:03 GMT 2003

Hi,

Some users at my company has this strange problem. We have done a "cvs watch on" on the whole project, but sometimes after a commit (or unedit) some files isn't set to read-only. The error keep on comming after a new checkout for the same files. We use CVSNT version 1.11.1.3 build 57f on Win2k with sp3.

First it only showed up using Intellij IDEA's CVS integration, but we found out that the same problem existed when using TortoiseCVS too. However, it doesn't show up when using WinCVS!

We have sent a mail to Intellij support. Their answer was to use the original CVS client instead of CVSNT (gave pointer to a CVS 1.11.2 binary). This new binary didn't resolve the problem either. This is a copy of a mail we sent to Intellij support:

---8<------------------------------------------------
I'm using IDEA 3.0 in a Windows2000 environment with CVS integration, but the problem described here have been seen in earlier versions of IDEA too.
The problem is with CVS integration. It seems like IDEA is not able to synchronize the file status (read-only) when performing operations like commit.

The tested sequence of operations:
1. I'm starting to edit a file.
2. IDEA prompts for invoking "CVS EDIT" --> yes
3. The file gets "Write-enabled" (padlock disappears).
4. I'm editing the file. The file gets blue in IDEA.
5. I'm issuing a "CVS commit" from the tools-->cvs-->commit menuitem.
6. The file get black, but does not receive the "read-only" status (and no padlock).

This problem seems to happen for a lot of my source-code files, but not all of them. For some of the files everything works fine.

If I perform the above sequence from within another tool (such as WinCVS), everything always works fine for all of my files (synchronization of file status).

Currently I'm using the cvs client (cvs.exe) and cvs server from CVSNT. I have also tried upgrading the cvs client to a new version.

As far as I can see this seems to be an IDEA synchronization problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a solution?

Regards,
Jonas