[cvsnt] cvs checkin error

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jan 19 06:33:49 GMT 2003

You probably have a stray cvs.exe process running on the server with
this file locked. It does not happen very often now, but was a common
(like in several times per week) thing in CVSNT 1.10.8.
The cure is to kill the cvs.exe process on the server.
I have since the 1.10.8 days a scheduled task on my CVSNT servers that
will trigger at 04:00 in the morning and will kill all cvs.exe
processes it finds. They should all be gone within seconds of being
started from the client so if they exist at this time they are rogues.
After I put this in place I never saw the problem again.

/Bo

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:33:23 +0530, "Jasmeet S. Virdi"
<jvirdi at softhome.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>    i get the following error while checking in a file. This a rare
>occurance but it does happen. When the following error occured, i tried
>checking in some other files, they got checked in fine, but this particular
>one was stuck. I am running CVS on a Win2K server with NT authentication.
>Could anybody gimme some pointers.
>

>cvs commit -m "no message" leftnav.jsp (in directory D:\temp\common\)
>Checking in leftnav.jsp;
>E:/temp/common/leftnav.jsp,v  <--  leftnav.jsp
>new revision: 1.15; previous revision: 1.14
>cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file E:/temp/common/,leftnav.jsp, to
>E:/temp/common/leftnav.jsp,v: File exists

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)