[cvsnt] Re: SSH support is hilariously slow

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Tue Jan 28 07:08:40 GMT 2003

> >For example, it took me about 3 minutes to freshly checkout a 500 KB
file.

> >Granted, my cvs server machine is a bit on the slow side: ~700 MHz
Celeron
> >And the client: Athlon XP 1600+
> >
> >I know SSH support (:ssh:) is still experimental, but could anyone tell
me
> >if this is planned to get faster in the future?
> >
> That sounds like a network error.  I can ssh about ~2MB/second on this
> machine (Athlon 2100), given a fast enough network connection.

Well, using the pserver protocol these 500 KB get transferred in no time.

I'm afraid I have to make a correction about the speed of the cvs server
machine: It's only a 433 MHz Celeron (I clocked it down so it can run
without fans).

So, does my little "benchmark" above still look like a bug or is it normal
for a such a slow machine?

Regards,

Andreas