[cvsnt] cvsnt build 68 hangs on merge

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jan 29 11:16:38 GMT 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:32:49 +0100, Torsten van Beeck
<torsten.van.beeck at ip-team.de> wrote:

>Corporate IT told me, we have a service aggrement with Symantec. So if
>we can track down the problem to their software, maybe we can do
>something. Tony, if you explain me what to test or do, maybe I can help
>in general with this annoying antivirus problems.

Ahh good.

>What can I do to track down the concrete problem? I have Visual
>Studio .NET but I am not a C/C++ expert.

Put the pdb files for the release in the same directory as the cvs.exe
and attach to the process (in the Debug/Processes... dialog).  That
might give you some idea of where it is.  I'd expect the problem to be
in the server rather than the client (but it's worth looking at both).

Looking at this:

>E S -> checkout (/ipsrc/ip-work/src/file.txt,v, 1.4, ,
>C:\cvsserver\temp\cvs2E.tmp)
>M Merging differences between 1.3 and 1.4 into file.txt

The very next thing that happens is the actual diff (it's in rcscmds.c
line 291).  If you can compile your own copy the easiest way is to put
cvs_output lines in wherever you think it might be hanging eg. on line
317:

	cvs_output("diff3 started\n",0);
	retval = call_diff3 (diffout);
	cvs_output("diff3 finished\n",0);

Doing things like that you can find out where it's hanging.  If you
find it's actually hanging in the diff3 that would be 'interesting' as
it's just GNU diff with the output redirected... still, stranger
things have happened!