[cvsnt] Shared folder problems and workarounds

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 31 22:32:15 GMT 2003

Adam Shand wrote:

> So we do use Active Directory and we could use sspi (if Unix clients can
> still connect).  However I assuming that from the tone of the message
> this isn't something that you are keen to add, so I'll let it drop and
> look for other alternatives.

Yes in theory.  You make the cvs server run under a user account with enough
rights (LocalSystem has no network rights) then use sspi.

pserver *can* work provided the username and password match a real user on
the system (you need a recent cvsnt for this.. 66 or 68 should be fine).
YMMV, though, and it's largely untested.

Generally why we discourage use over network shares is Netbios (and NFS
under Unix) have a history of causing strange errors with cvs repositories.
If you're using a system that can guarantee that file locking, concurrent
access, etc. will work correctly then it might work.

As far as Active Directory is concerned, I can't help with configuring it,
but you need to get delegation rights assigned to the account the cvs
server runs as (& probably the machine & domain, as I mentioned earlier,
although I'm no AD expert).  sspi already requests delegation, but doesn't
check whether it actually gets it.