[cvsnt] Shared folder problems and workarounds

Adam Shand ashand at pixelworks.com
Fri Jan 31 23:59:18 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Generally why we discourage use over network shares is Netbios (and NFS
> under Unix) have a history of causing strange errors with cvs repositories.
> If you're using a system that can guarantee that file locking, concurrent
> access, etc. will work correctly then it might work.

My understanding from an NFS point of view was that having clients
access a repository via a remote share (ie. using file:) was a really
bad idea, but having the server access the repository via a share was
okay (at least it's been fine for us for the last year or two under
fairly heavy use).

> As far as Active Directory is concerned, I can't help with configuring it,
> but you need to get delegation rights assigned to the account the cvs
> server runs as (& probably the machine & domain, as I mentioned earlier,
> although I'm no AD expert).  sspi already requests delegation, but doesn't
> check whether it actually gets it.

Sounds more complicated then I want to delve into.

For the record, I spent some time talking to Netapp this afternoon and
it looks like I can set up our Netapp CVS share to appear as a local
drive to the CVS server which should solve these issues and allow me to
still store the data in a centralized mannor.  The technology is what
they call SnapDrive or VLD, and it appears that it's their propriatry
predessor to iSCSI which is probably where I'll end up once they've
prooved to me that it's stable.

If it's of interest to anyone I'd be happy to report back on how well
it's worked for us.  If anyone has already been down this, or a similar,
path I'd love to hear your exeriences.

Thanks,
Adam.