[cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

David Williamson dwilliamson at ivsi.com
Thu Jul 3 20:17:40 BST 2003

To anyone who has an opinion,

Our custom software shop is new to CVSNT and CVS in general.  We are debating the best approach to setting up our repository.  Should we setup a repository for each customer that we have and put each of their projects in a separate module or should we have one large software repository that has a module for each customer?

The administrators thought was to create a repository for each customer and place their projects within it.  Reason:  If something happened to a repository then our down time would be limited to one customer and backup recovery would be easier by replacing the entire repository from last night's backup.

The users thought was to create a single "Software" repository and create a module for each customer and place their projects within it.  Reason:  It would be easier to just go to the same repository and list the modules.