[cvsnt] Re: problem with domain users and impersonation

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Jul 4 00:04:51 BST 2003

I believe that under NT4 by default users couldn't login to servers without
explicitly granting them the log on locally right.  That caused problems
with the MSFTP service, you can't log into the FTP server without log on
locally rights--not that isn't even interactive--but I *believe* FTP was
impersonating the user to get the same effect you are seeking (application
of NTFS permissions to the remote user).

Now, that does not hold true for IIS.  When you use NT authentication
against NT4 IIS it does so without requiring local login.

Win2K changed that and now allows users to log in interactively by default.
I suppose that eliminated the "bug" that people couldn't log into FTP server
by default <a bit cynical perhaps, but entirely possible>.  Perhaps it was a
change for something more modern, like Terminal Server.

Glen Starrett