[cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

David Williamson dwilliamson at ivsi.com
Mon Jul 7 13:36:00 BST 2003

Glen,

Some follow up if you don't mind.

> If you share modules between customers, then you should have them all in the
> same repository.

Would this still be true if the code that was shared was common in general and changed over time and when working on a project 2 years old the developer would need to work with the same version of the common code that was used 2 years ago?  I.E. the common code is more like common knowledge code.  Things like how to fill a list box with an API call.  It basically stays the same but is probably tweaked over time as further improvements are made.

> You can restore individual modules if there is some sort of disaster, but
> I'm not aware of anyone losing information to CVS.  You should consider the
> administration and module sharing aspects more than disaster recovery, since
> those have a higher impact.

Ok.  I agree 100% here.  I doubt the building will burn down overnight but my biggest concern is an end user doing something to the repository that they didn't intend to do but they didn't know better and thus we might have to spend hours getting back to a point where normal development can continue.  Basically limiting down time during the learning of CVS phase.  Would this type of disaster alter your answer?

> I have a handful of repositories set up.  We have several developers split
> into a number of teams that have little interaction and virtually no file
> sharing.  I elected to set up one repository per independent group so that
> they could administer their own repositories and control read/write access
> conveniently for each (via the CVSROOT writers file).
>
> Take some time and think about what you want to do with your
> repositories--what scripting, access control, etc.  That should lead you to
> a logical ordering of the repositories.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glen Starrett

   Name: David Williamson
Company: Integrated Visual Systems, Inc.
Address: 1207-E Crews Road
         Matthews, NC 28105
  email: dwilliamson at ivsi.com
  phone: 704-847-3379