[cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Jul 7 19:04:38 BST 2003

Would this still be true if the code that was shared was common in general
and changed over time and when working on a project 2 years old the
developer would need to work with the same version of the common code that
was used 2 years ago?  I.E. the common code is more like common knowledge
code.  Things like how to fill a list box with an API call.  It basically
stays the same but is probably tweaked over time as further improvements are
made.
<<<<
This isn't so much a question of multi repositories vs. one but common code
base vs. a template library.  I would imagine that the guideline for this
would be:  If it is code that you want to keep current with, share it in the
repository.  If it is "library" type items that are customized / integrated
per project, then don't.  It's all up to your developers and how they work.

Ok.  I agree 100% here.  I doubt the building will burn down overnight but
my biggest concern is an end user doing something to the repository that
they didn't intend to do but they didn't know better and thus we might have
to spend hours getting back to a point where normal development can
continue.  Basically limiting down time during the learning of CVS phase.
Would this type of disaster alter your answer?
<<<<
Not really.  I would recommend you create a "junk" repository that the devs
can learn / practice on before actually trying them in the real repository.
Also note that my repository has a very small number of developers on it.
Perhaps an admin of a larger CVSNT user base can comment??

Glen Starrett