[cvsnt] Re: Mergepoint question

Starrett, Glen (AZ15) glen.starrett at honeywell.com
Wed Jul 23 16:43:57 BST 2003

Tony--please correct me if I've misstated anything here.

If I am getting this right, the mergepoint is stored in the working folder
(sandbox) not in the repository.

If this is the case:
- one user merges 2 branches
- assume that development continues on both branches
- when a different user merges the branches a second time he will get the
conflicts of the first merge too

Or is the mergepoint committed to the repository too?
<<<<

Yes, mergepoints are saved in the sandbox until committed and then to the
server log once committed.  You'll see entries in there with the field
"mergepoint" if you've done merges.  However, from what I've read recently,
I would infer that if you do *2* merges into the same sandbox without
committing in-between then you would loose 1 or both mergepoints.

The better (or at least more detailed) steps of your scenario is:

-- One users merges 1st of 2 branches
-- When conflicts are resolved (if any), commit
-- Same user merges 2nd of 2 branches
-- When conflicts are resolved (if any), commit
-- When a different user merges the branches, CVSNT sees the mergepoint
entries in the log and merges correctly.

The commit in between merges is to primarily to save off the mergepoint
record and also provide a fallback point to go back to without loosing the
1st merge in case the 2nd merge is not completed for any reason.

IMHO merging multiple times without committing in-between is only asking for
trouble, no matter what SCM tool you're using.

By the way is there does not seem to be any (or sufficient) documentation
about merge points. If anybody finds or writes something please post a link.
<<<<

I completely agree and I'd volunteer to put this in the wiki but I'm
overloaded as it is (I guess I shouldn't be writing now then, eh?).  If you
could put this information into the CVSNT wiki for everyone's benefit it
would be available for everyone from now on, and your name would be
immortalized in the CVSNT wiki forever.  OK, maybe the last part is a
stretch, but be confident that your efforts will be appreciated.  As a side
benefit you'll solidify your knowledge on how the CVSNT branching and
merging work while you write your article.

Regards,

Glen Starrett