[cvsnt] sspi, cvs login, and passwords

Erv Walter erv at epicsystems.com
Mon Jun 2 19:08:15 BST 2003

Hi,

We're using cvs 2.0.4 on a Windows 2003 server.  Everything is basically
working, but we've got some questions about a few authentication related
issues.  Because the cvs server is on a different NT domain than most of
our users, our CVSROOT looks something like this:

:sspi:username at server:/test

In order to get cvs commands to work, each person had to do 'cvs login'
once.  That's the topic for our questions:

How often will we need to do cvs login?  Once only? Every time client
PCs reboot? What's the pattern here? So far, I've never had to re-login.

Where is 'cvs login' storing the domain password?  Is it in some plain
text file somewhere that needs to be protected very carefully?  Or is it
somewhere "safe"?  If it's safe, where is it (so I can provide some
comfort to our security conscious IT folks)?

Thanks,
Erv