[cvsnt] sspi, cvs login, and passwords

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Jun 2 19:15:42 BST 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:08:15 -0500, "Erv Walter" <erv at epicsystems.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We're using cvs 2.0.4 on a Windows 2003 server.  Everything is basically
>working, but we've got some questions about a few authentication related
>issues.  Because the cvs server is on a different NT domain than most of
>our users, our CVSROOT looks something like this:
>
>:sspi:username at server:/test
>
>In order to get cvs commands to work, each person had to do 'cvs login'
>once.  That's the topic for our questions: =20

One way around it would be to have domain trusts set up and use

:sspi:DOMAIN\username at server:/test

In that case you can use your existing credentials and not need to log in.

>How often will we need to do cvs login?  Once only? Every time client
>PCs reboot? What's the pattern here? So far, I've never had to re-login.

Basically once per repository... if the server doesn't change you don't need
to do it again.

>Where is 'cvs login' storing the domain password?  Is it in some plain
>text file somewhere that needs to be protected very carefully?  Or is it
>somewhere "safe"?  If it's safe, where is it (so I can provide some
>comfort to our security conscious IT folks)?

It's in the registry, which is as safe as the PC that it's sitting on,
generally.