[cvsnt] Re: Benefits of CVSNT vs cvs (cyclic) 1.11.x???

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Jun 3 15:04:39 BST 2003

Glen Starrett wrote:
> Subversion is the "next generation" revision control system, and is
> currently in an early-alpha stage.

I would actually describe Subversion as late alpha, since it is usable now for
the vast majority of cases.  Although it is not feature complete, it has a solid
set of tools already and can be used as a replacement for CVS right now.  I am
already in the process of moving my personal development into a SVN repository,
as well as using a script someone else wrote to create a local repository of the
APC (All Perl Changes) so I can test my Perl modules vs. any release of Perl
from early 5.000 days up to bleadperl (5.9.x).

The development team is very well organized and keep to a pretty tight schedule
(2 weeks per cycle), and have a very good sense of what needs to happen to get
Subversion over the finish line with their own sanity intact.

John