[cvsnt] fail to update

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jun 6 08:34:58 BST 2003

If I understand you correctly this is the situation:
1. There is one client workstation shared between two users
2. User1 has checked out a module from CVS to a sandbox (for example at c:\proj\mymodule)
   He used pserver as protocol for this operation.
3. Now User2 logs in and tries to update the sandbox and fails.

The reason he fails is that the two users are two different users. The sandbox saves
the information on who actually did the checkout in its administrative files. So there
is an entry here in the CVS/Root files that says something like
  :pserver:cvsuser at cvsserver:/repository

Since the pserver user is listed in the Root file you will have to log in to the cvs server
if you are coming here as user2. The reason is that the login for cvsuser at cvsserver was
cached in the registry when user1 did the original login prior to his checkout and now
when you log on to the workstation that setting is not available to you.
But if you do a cvs login and enter the password for cvsuser, then you will also cache
the login in *your* registry hive and from now on you can also update the sandbox.

However
-------
this whole scheme is not at all optimal! You should *not* share the same sandbox between
multiple developers. Instead the recommended practice is to have separate sandboxes for
each user. This way the CVS server will be able to track who is doing what with the files.
I would recommend that you set up your shared diskl as follows:
c:\proj\user1\mymodule (Checked out by user 1)
c:\proj\user2\mymodule (Checked out by user 2)
And you should use cvs account names that are unique for each developer.

Use sspi
--------
Another way to handle this issue is *not* to use :pserver: in the first place. If you are
working in Windows (as indicated here) then switch to using :sspi: instead.
With sspi there is no user information stored in the CVS/Root file and so the sandbox
becomes identity-free. Instead the currently logged on user will be the one that is
authenticated by CVS each time you perform a cvs operation.
Now the sandbox can be shared and the server will be able to save who did what to the
module.

/Bo