[cvsnt] Instable release version?!?

Ralf Steinhaeusser stralf at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 18:41:26 BST 2003

Hello Tony,

First of all: sorry for posting the report twice (it was late last
night...)!

Tony Hoyle wrote:
>>I just installed CVSNT and am a little bit confused:
>>How can this be that the release version (2.0.4) is newer that the current
>>development version.
>
> 2.1 > 2.0...  what's the problem?

I just found it confusing that the current release version (with an
older version number) has a newer date than the development version.
(Typically the development version is rather new)

Then I found (at least I thought) that the development version works
better, so I thought you might have mixed up the 2 files. My fault, sorry.

>>This alone would not be a problem, but the release version seems to be
>>also less stable.
>>Using the "stable" version I could not commit more than 2 files at once
>>and I just found out (after A LOT of bug-hunting) that the development
>>version doesn't make troubles here.
>
> I've never heard of anyone else having this problem... I regularly commit
> many hundreds of files with 2.0.4, as do many others.

I set up the newer version on a different computer, there it worked. But
I still can't make CVSNT (both versions) work on the first computer
(where it has to run in the end).
(Both computers are running Win2K Prof. (german version), have all
service packs and security fixes installed and nearly no other software
(mainly drivers) installed.

When I try to commit 3 files on the "bad" computer this is what I see
(TurtoiseCVS, WinCVS gives same results)

########  Start  ###########

In F:\Temp\TestProjekt\Bug1: cvs -q -x commit -m MyComment
CompactFlash.pas DSEventBand.pas DarwinUtils.pas
CVSROOT=:sspi:Tom-data:/Test

RCS file: /Test/Bug1/CompactFlash.pas,v
done

#####
...and here it seems to hang.

Doing the same thing on the other computer gives :

########  Start  ###########

In F:\Temp\TestProjekt\Bug2: cvs -q -x commit -m MyComment
CompactFlash.pas DSEventBand.pas DarwinUtils.pas
CVSROOT=:sspi:Tom-Labor1:/LabTest

RCS file: /LabTest/Bug2/CompactFlash.pas,v
done
Checking in CompactFlash.pas;
/LabTest/Bug2/CompactFlash.pas,v  <--  CompactFlash.pas
initial revision: 1.1
done

... <Snip - repeats 3 times>

Success, CVS operation completed

####

Any ideas what's wrong here?
HEEEELP!!!

>>Also the installer of the stable release neither gives a hint that yu have
>>to reboot the computer once, nor that the Path-variable on the computer
>>has to be set manually.
>
> Untrue.  Some machines need a reboot (but then most of the time you'll have
> to reboot to install it anyway).

I didn't check, but on
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips#head-c7116629a6a855cb774d9c7c8ad822fd83c71fb5
it is claimed that you HAVE TO reboot.

 > The path variable is updated
> automatically.

The path variable was never set on both computers I tried. (So I had to
set it manually)

Regards,
Ralf S.