[cvsnt] Problem With Committing Recursively

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat Jun 28 21:42:08 BST 2003

Ch J Sa wrote:

 I've tried a couple different versions of cvs on my computer at home, and
> they all behave in the following manner.  When there are multiple changes
> in subdirectories and I commit, an editor comes up for me to enter a log
> message.  However, the cvs comment in this case only lists the modified
> files in the current directory.  I enter a comment, save, and close the
> window.  Then another editor window pops up for the files in one of the
> subdirectories.  Then another, and another, until all subdirectories have
> been logged and committed.  This gets to be a huge pain when I have a lot
> of modified files.  I've asked several of the people that I work with and
> they have never seen this before.  Has anyone else seen behavior like
> this?  Is this a configuration issue?

This is normal... it's usual to use the '-m' option to set a single edit
message if you have a large commit (or use a frontend, like WinCVS).

I'm not 100% sure why it was designed like that but it's been like that ever
since cvs was first written...   I suppose the idea is you have different
commit messages for different subprojects.