[cvsnt] Problem With Committing Recursively

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jun 29 21:50:19 BST 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:11:00 -0400, Ch J Sa <chrisisajedi at juno.com>
wrote:

>Nope, the cvs files are the same.
>What is the normal way to create a repository?  I used the import command
>to import a tree into a new repositiory.  Could this have something to do
>with it?    What about the files in %CVSROOT&/CVSROOT?  Could they be at
>all related?

Terminology:
1. Repository
Is where CVS stores its files and data. It consists of one folder with
administrative information concerning CVS itself (CVSROOT) and
multiple folders parallel to CVSROOT where actual user files are
managed.

2. Modules
This is what is normally considered "projects". A module can consist
of one folder with files and subfolders with files and subfolders...
A module can also be defined as a collection of other folders through
entries in the CVSROOT/modules file (advanced cvs).

A repository is created once when the cvs server is set up and in the
repository users store multiple modules (or if you will projects).

The import command is used to enter a module with all its files into
the repository. By virtue of its origins the import command is
considered to be used for handling third party sources, not your own
sources. Thus it automatically creates a branch for these sources on
which to maintain them. This is often confusing to newbies.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)