[cvsnt] CVSNT- Request for U.S. Export Information

Gates, Donald T DONALD.T.GATES at saic.com
Tue May 13 19:44:57 BST 2003

No offense meant to Bo and Tony, but I think you may be missing something
here.

Think of this from the sender's point reference. True, this e-mail did come
from GE, a large multi-national corporation.  But the e-mail probably was
sent because someone like me, a worker in the trenches in the US using
CVSNT, wants to use it for some project outside the US. So they go to their
boss who says they have to clear it through the "GEAE Software License
Management Team" before they can proceed. So they fill out some form or
contact someone on the team who says that they need some contact information
to obtain an "Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)".

CVSNT is a good piece of software. So isn't it a good thing there are people
using it (who just happen to work for a large company like GE)? Should we,
the CVSNT community, help those people who want to use it (regardless of
where they work and what the restrictions they must work under are)?

Don Gates

------------------------------

wrote:

>>Blah!
>>This is Open Source software and there is unlikely that you will ever =
>>get an
>>'official' statemant like the one you request. There is no company =
>>behind this
>>product.....
>>
>Also, All the world isn't the US.
>
>There is no export license because I've never exported it from the US.
Heck,
>I've only been there once and that was before cvsnt was really that big a
>project.
>
>Tony

Donald T. Gates
Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC