[cvsnt] Unable to "un-remove" a file

Larry D Hartsook HartsoLD at appliedbiosystems.com
Sat May 24 23:26:13 BST 2003

I've been trying to get back a few files that were "cvs remove'ed" without
success. Here's the scenario, using foo.java as the example file; let's say
it's at rev 1.3 when this scenario starts (so rev 1.4 becomes the 'dead'
revision):

% cvs remove foo.java
% cvs commit -m "Getting rid of foo" .
... time passes ...
% cvs update -j 1.4 -j 1.3 foo.java
% cvs commit -m "Restoring foo" foo.java

At this point, I always get an error like the following:
cvs commit: Failed to move `//server/CVSRepository/myproj/Attic/foo.java'
out of the attic: Bad address

We have the CVS repository exported as a network share and set CVSROOT to
be "\\server\CVSRepository", accessing it as though it were local.

I've also tried just doing "cvs add foo.java" instead of "cvs update -j 1.4
-j 1.3". The commit fails the same way. I'm at a loss. Anyone have any
ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks,
 Larry