[cvsnt] port number for :ntserver: on CVSNT ...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 28 07:38:18 BST 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 10:55:59 +0530, shekhar
<shekhar at cygnus.stpp.soft.net> wrote:

>Dear all
> I urgently need the (default) port number for :ntserver: on CVSNT
>running on Windows. I could not locate information on www.cvsnt.org
>site. I did find the port number for :pserver: and rsh, but not for
>:ntserver: on the site
>
>Please help.
>
>thanks
>shekhar

The ntserver protocol does not use TCP/IP ports directly, instead it
uses Windows NT "named pipes". These are managed by NT NetBios, which
in turn uses a number of ports starting at 139.
But ntserver is being phased out and you should not start using it
now. It cannot be routed so you are stuck with a local network only.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)