[cvsnt] Documentation for :ext:{prog} usage?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed May 28 10:26:34 BST 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:33:11 -0700, Scott Bussinger <scottb at opto-pps.com>
wrote:

>But when using the :ext: protocol, what machine/port does CVSNT attempt
>to connect to to get to the repository server? I assumed that it would
>be localhost:2401, but that doesn't seem to actually be the case -- what
>does it connect to?

With :ext: cvsnt doesn't attempt to connect to anywhere - it's the
responsibility of the external program to do that.  The external program
should run 'cvs server' on the remote machine then pass through the
client/server protocol via its standard input/output.

The 'cvs server' command is actually appended to the command line sent to the
:ext: program (it can be modified by the CVS_SERVER environment variable,
although this is unusual).

The :ext: command specified with {xxx} or using CVS_EXT is parsed and can
include the username and/or hostname to connect to.  The default if nothing is
specified for either is:

ssh -l "%u" %h

%u is replaced by the username, and %h by the server hostname.