[cvsnt] CVSNT - Problems in executing *info scripts under Windows 2003 Se rver

Keeron Modi KeeronMo at Attachmate.com
Wed Nov 5 22:04:49 GMT 2003

Hello All,

I have Windows 2003 Server, latest CVSNT version installed and the clients
use WinCVS/TortoiseCVS.

I am playing around with the *info scripts to trigger scripts upon certain
events. There seems to be some security/permissions issue regard this.

First about the repository - the repository permissions is based on NTFS
permissions. Users are in specific groups, and then these groups are given
write access on their appropiate project (ie. Repository). There is a
special admins group in which I and other admins are placed.

I am using loginfo script for starters ($CVSROOT/CVSROOT/loginfo) and have
this line in it :

ALL c:\perl\bin\perl.exe "C:\Progra~1\viewcvs-1.0-dev\test.pl"

The script dosent do any thing except print the "Hello". I have two groups
"project-grp" and "cvs-admins". I've given "project-grp" full read/write
access to $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/ folder (I know I shouldn't give full access, but
just to test). Also, I've given them the full access on "test.pl" which is
in my program files.

When A user who is in cvs-admins (local admins) group tried to commit
anything, the "test.pl" executes and prints out "hello".

When a user who is in "project-grp" tries to commit anything, the "test.pl"
fails and we get the following error:

cvs server: Script execution failed: Permission denied
cvs server: cannot write entry to log filter: c:\perl\bin\perl.exe
f:\cvsrepo\cm\CVSROOT\tag.pl
cvs server: Pre-commit check failed
cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!

Error, CVS operation failed

Based on this I thought the user / "project-grp" needs read/execute
permission to "c:\perl\bin\perl.exe" ... but giving that dosent solve the
problem.

The problem does solve when you put the users from "project-grp" into the
admins group .... But we don't want that - that defies the whole purpose of
setting up admin group, and individual project groups :-)

Any solutions to this ? I know *info scripts in CVS is a really important
part. But I havent yet found lot of talks on using this with CVSNT and how
the permissions go ...

We don't want to give the cvs users admin rights .... But at the same time
be able to execute these *info (and other perl/python) scripts.

Any ideas why this is going wrong ?

Thanks,
Keeron

-
"Strive for perfection in everything you do, take the best that
exists and make it better, and if it does not exist then design it."

Keeron Modi
KeeronMo at Attachmate.com
Intern - Configurations Management Group.
Attachmate Corporation