[cvsnt] max number of repositories?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 11 18:27:18 GMT 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:25 +0100, IVO.HECHMANN at SBB.CH wrote:

>--- Erhalten von  I0.U114371 0512 20 26 41                   11.11.03 13.25
>
>hai all;
>
>i've just successfully installed CVSNT and now i found an old message at
>http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2002-May/002138.html which says that
>cvsnt may handle only <=64 repositories; well i was shocked, but when i
>added 70 repositories for testing it worked fine. i am using cvsnt
>v.2.0.0.9, is this an old limitation which has been removed?

The limit has been moved up to some high value that I don't know.
But why in the world do you want to have so many repositories???
I think that you might have misunderstood the workings of CVS here.
You don't need a *repository* for each project you want to maintain,
instead you create a *module* for each. The only reason I can think of
to separate stuff into different repositories is when you want to make
sure there can be no interaction between the modules of each. This can
happen for example if you work on a consultancy basis and you want to
keep customer code well isolated.

However, dividing stuff into different respositories makes it
impossible to use the built-in cvs support for creation of logical
modules where some support files are part of many different projects.
This cannot be done across repositories.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)