[cvsnt] max number of repositories?

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Wed Nov 12 00:55:13 GMT 2003

Excuse me kinda hijacking this thread

Bo (or anyone else who would like to comment),

I have read a few CVS type docs and I am a little confused as to how I
should set up our system. We have a number of embedded products with
fairly different versions of code. Each product can have more than one
distinct section of software though.

e.g. we have one product called 1920-Mk6e that currently has two
distinct sections of code: Z00-Firmware and Z01-Bootloader.

Likewise there is another device called 1680-Mk6 which has two sections
named the same and then some more like Z03-Checksummer.

As we only have around 10-15 devices, I was initially planning on
creating separate repositries (albeit on the same server) for each
project (i.e. repositries called 1920-Mk6E, 1680-Mk6. Then have each
code section (Zxx-abcdef) as a module. If I had everything under one
repositry using the device name as the module, checking out individual
(Zxx-abcdef) sections is possible but not as simple.

I am trying to use TortoiseCVS (for simplicity over command line -
otherwise the developers won't use it) and it doesn't easily support
directories below modules. i.e. the Fetch List button when doing a
checkout only gives the modules in the repositry and nothing lower. _IF_
I know the name of the lower directories I can add them only they will
be checked out. It's not that simple to use though and knowing the guys
around here they will whinge and complain.

Suggestions as to how I should implement things? I am sure others have
faced a similar if not an identical situation

Christian