[cvsnt] Re: Change user (newbie)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Nov 17 22:31:41 GMT 2003

After you have checked out a file set as user1, that username is
associated with the file set (if you use pserver as protocol) for all
future commands. You don't need to do a login to work with these files
and if you do it will not affect anything but a new checkout of
another file set. If another user logs into that same PC and starts
editing the files then any commit thta is done will be as the first
user.
This is how CVS works.
You are each supposed to have a *private* file set (also called
Sandbox) as your working area and then communicate your changes via
the CVS server.

But your scenario might just be possible to set up if you use the
:sspi: protocol, because this does not store username info in the
sandbox metadata. So any user that has access to the PC and is logging
on to it (note: not logging into CVS, but logging on to the PC) will
have his credentials used by CVS for the operations.
But then if you se reserved edits you are caught, because if user1
gets a reserved edit handle on the files and then logs off the PC and
now user2 logs in he cannot commit anything until the first user comes
back in and commits the changes and releases the locks...

Sensmoral: Don't use locks, CVS is not strong in this respect.
And please use private file sets instead of sharing them among users.

/Bo

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:01:25 +0100, "John M" <bali1a at freemail.hu>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just install CVS on my PC. I have a network with 2 PC and there are 4
>user, who can edit files.
>I installed CVSNT, set to repository and users. I use(test) smartcvs and
>wincvs as GUI.
>I have some questions:
>1. How can I change user? After I make a logou and a new login I can't edit
>files with a diferent name. What's the problem? See details below:
>***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
>
>cvs logout
>
>***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
>
>Logging out of :pserver:user1 at mypc:2401:/demo
>
>After I make a login:
>
>cvs -d :pserver:user3 at mypc:/demo login
>
>Logging in to :pserver:user3 at mypc:2401:/demo
>
>***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
>
>But when I want to make a Reserved edit I get the following error:
>
>cvs edit -c info.php (in directory D:\cvswork\smart\Blog\)
>
>cvs edit: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
>
>cvs [edit aborted]: authorization failed: server asztali rejected access to
>/demo for user user1
>
>***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
>
>2. In the "file browser panel" where you can see file name, Rev, Option,
>Status,... is it possible to see the username, who was last edited it?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)