[cvsnt] missing expected branches, but the branches exists. less URGENT.

irodriguez perez irodriguezp at cirsa.com
Thu Oct 2 15:11:27 BST 2003

Hi Tony and thanks for reply.

> It looks like something has corrupted that file

Yes, but this case have ocurred over more of 50 files, i don't think that a
person
has enough pacience to do it, so i presume is a program, but i don't know
which could do it.

After doing an intensive investigation I think know what is the problem.
When the files  ,v were well, after symbos information appeared this (in
only one
file, of course):

symbols
     TAG1:x.x.x.x
         .
         .
         .
     VENDOR_BRANCH:1.1.1
locks; strict;
comment     @ * @;

1.1
date  2002.10.15.08.55.11;   author nacho;    state Exp;
branches
     1.1.1.1;
next   ;

1.1.1.1
date  2002.10.15.08.55.11;   author nacho;    state Exp;
branches
next   1.1.1.2;

1.1.1.2
date  2002.10.18.06.40.47;   author nacho;    state Exp;
                    .
                    .
                    .

desc
@@

" And here all the information for each revision "

But now in the content of files the branches are deleted and their
revision information has disappeared, like this:

1.1
date  2002.10.15.08.55.11;   author nacho;    state Exp;
branches;
next;

desc
@@

" And here only appears the revision 1.1 information"

All branches including vendor branch (with the import
comment) are deleted!!!!!!!

This is a very good job, when i was looking for a something
similar in archives i found this:

http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2003-September/008503.html

It's the same case, but i can't find a reply for it.

I am trying know what caused it. If CVS or another application
i don't have any idea, but this good job over more 50 files disccard that
was a person (well, perhaps a group of persons
but it's not probable).

Tony, i remember that this operation was made yesterday on a file
in the module (but this file is not corrupted).

cvs admin -oTAG1:TAG5 file5.hex

I have panic to delete revisions and perhaps this command
could affect other files. (cvsnt 2.0.5).

> Better to recover from backups after
> finding out what went wrong

Yes, i should do it because my brach structure is very complex.

For more information if i try a checkout without /force/rev/branch
option the server says this about the corrupted files:

cvs server: nothing known about ###_DIR_###/file1.psl

Thanks for all, and the quick reply.

Nacho.

P.S. I will continue looking for a cause.

información CONFIDENCIAL sometida a secreto profesional o cuya divulgación
esté prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este
mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta
misma vía o por teléfono (34 93 739 67 00) y proceda a su destrucción.
Nótese que el correo electrónico vía Internet no permite asegurar ni la
confidencialidad de los mensajes que se transmiten ni la correcta recepción
de los mismos.  En el caso de que el destinatario de este mensaje no
consintiera la utilización del correo electrónico vía Internet, rogamos lo
ponga en nuestro conocimiento de manera inmediata.

information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by a professional privilege
or which disclosure is prohibited by law. If this message has been received
in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail or by telephone (34 93
739 67 00) and delete it.
Please note that Internet e-mail does not guarantee the confidentiality or
the proper receipt of the messages sent.  If the addressee of this message
does not consent to the use of Internet e-mail, please communicate it to us
immediately.