[cvsnt] how to update an export ?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Oct 9 17:52:08 BST 2003

You have to do one of two things:
1) Create the webserver files using a regular checkout. This will create the
   needed metadata files in the CVS subdirs (they are hidden so they won't show
   in your webserver, I believe).
   Now you can update using the cvs update command.
or
2) Before you do a renewed export you have to delete the whole folder tree. Then
   you just issue the same cvs export -r HEAD xxxxx command as you used initially.

I think that if your webserver holds lots of files it is best to use strategy 1.
This will limit things

You can check out once using the syntax
cvs -d :sspi:user:password at server:/repository co yourmodule

Then for all updates you can use a batch file that gets executed and contains the
following commands:
cd <the top folder of the web module>
cvs -d :sspi:user:password at server:/repository up

By overriding with the user:password syntax you make sure that no matter which
account executes the batch file it will work. Create the user for this with read
only permissions on cvs, then it will not be possible to misuse the account for
changing the module (committing).

/Bo

This