[cvsnt] cvswebnt

Thierry B. thierry.bo at XXXnetcourrier.com
Mon Oct 13 06:07:23 BST 2003

Ji,

I have now since 5 month cvswebnt running on my laptop with Apache, and at
my work with IIS5. Since, I DON'T want to touch anything. I remember I got
lot of hassles and sweat to make it works. What I remember is that the error
"Failed to spawn GNU rlog on" can come from several causes, so it's
difficult to know. After trying several combinations (cvs/rcs package), I
found one that work. I will try to summarize what I remember did to solve
all the problem (including normal configuration), since I noted all I had
done. So this is my working system, that does not mean  that all is
necessary:

- correct path to cvs/rcs utilities in cvsweb.conf '($ENV{'PATH'} .=
';F:/cvs/Cvsnt';)'. You DON'T need to add this to you system path.
Also, this may seems stupid, but I copied the original line #$ENV{'PATH'} =
'/usr/local/bin'; to set my actual path. For 10 days at least I tear one's
hair because I did not saw/realized that for windows, you have to add the
'dot' before = to add this path to the existing path.

- in F:/cvs/Cvsnt, copy all files from
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/FrontPage ->cvsnt-2.0.xx-bin.zip. Do NOT use any
other package (cvsnt from cvshome, nor rcs package from
http:\\ftp.cvshome.org\release\binary\rcs or
http:\\www.cs.purdue.edu\homes\trinkle\RCS).

Although i don't remember why now, I also added in that directory the 2
files diff.exe and diff3.exe found in 'rcs57pc1.zip' found at
http:\\www.cs.purdue.edu\homes\trinkle\RCS (in folder /bin/win32 from zip
files).

- Changes in cvsweb.cgi :
  >Line 1, change :

#!/usr/bin/perl -ws
#!perl -s

 >$config = $ENV{'CVSWEB_CONFIG'} || .....

I don't remember exactly what I have done, since the problem was different
between IIS and Apache. I believe in Apache, although I added a
'CVSWEB_CONFIG' environment variable to windows, this was not available in
Apache without adding a line 'SetEnv CVSWEB_CONFIG path/to/cvsweb.conf'. As
this was to complicated, I just added the path to cvsweb.conf on the $config
line

- Changes in httpd.conf :
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

- Do not use files with space in their name. I removed them, but with my
current installation, it was hard to find the error because cvsweb does not
display an error. It just stop displaying files as soon as it encounter such
a file. With previous installations, this raised the "Failed to spawn GNU
rlog on" error.

- Do not use spaces in your windows logins. I had no chances, because this
was my case, and cause a "Failed to spawn GNU rlog on" error too. To correct
this, just replace the line 1737 :

if
(m|^date:\s+(\d+)/(\d+)/(\d+)\s+(\d+):(\d+):(\d+);\s+author:\s+(\S+);\s+stat
e:\s+(\S+);\s+(lines:\s+([0-9\s+-]+))?|) {

with

if
(m|^date:\s+(\d+)/(\d+)/(\d+)\s+(\d+):(\d+):(\d+);\s+author:\s+([^\t\n\r\f]+
);\s+state:\s+(\S+);\s+(lines:\s+([0-9\s+-]+))?|) {

I had hard work, especially because instructions found at
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvswebIIS.htm and
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvswebnt_apache.htm do do not work
if followed literraly, especially for the use of rcs utilities.
But now i am very happy with it bacause :

- I don't need advanced features from viewcvs (I use it a to view my
personal cvs repository on my system).
- As a windows user, after perl , I don't like to install python just to use
view cvs. I use perl for many things on windows, not Python.

Hope this helps,

Thierry B.

mailman.754.1065693152.630.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...