[cvsnt] Manipulate tag names on-the-fly with taginfo and Perl?

Williams, Tim WilliamsTim at PRAIntl.com
Thu Oct 23 20:15:24 BST 2003

Hi folks,

I'm new to the concepts of taginfo, so perhaps this is a silly question.

I have implemented a small perl script called from taginfo that allows users
to only apply a standard tag set, such as tag names "alpha", "beta",
"stable":

# excerpt from validtags.pl

my $tag=shift @ARGV;

if (/alpha|beta|stable/i) {
  print "Valid tag name applied \n";
  exit 0;
}
else {
  print "!!ERROR!! : Invalid tag name. Contact CVS Admin for assistance.
\n";
  exit 1;
}

My question is: Is it possible to manipulate the tagname within the perl
script?  I would like to automatically append a time stamp to the tagname,
so the tag "alpha" becomes "alpha_23Oct03142003" (ie DDMonHHMMSS - time
stamp appended).   If it is possible, is anyone willing to share a (simple)
perl script example?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Tim Williams