[cvsnt] Re: Advice on the modules setup, please

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Oct 31 13:11:27 GMT 2003

Bo Berglund wrote:

> We need to start using the modules file to fine tune our sandboxes.
> Specifically we have found that we need to include some common folders
> with files inside the project modules so changes here are not
> forgotten when committing the project files.
> Say that we have a main source module called Project1. It contains
> several subfolders already.
> There is also a folder elsewhere (like Common/Utils), which we would
> like to become part of the Project1 module on checkout. Ideally it
> should appear as Project1/Utils.
> If I look in the modules file specification I think I can do the
> following:
>
> Utils Common/Utils
> Project1A &Project1 &Utils
>
> But when I check out this I get the following structure:
> Project1A
>   |-- Project1
>   |-- Utils
>
> But I wanted:
> Project1A
>   |-- Project1
>         |-- Utils
> so that Util is a subfolder to Project1
>
> Is this at all possible? If so how?

Given that your repository structure is this:

$CVSROOT
  +-CVSROOT
  +-Common
  |   +-Utils
  +-Project1

...and you want a module definition called Project1A that produces this:

Project1A
  +-Project1
      +-Utils

I'd probably do it like this:

_UtilsForProject1A    -d Project1A/Project1/Utils Common/Utils
_Project1ForProject1A -d Project1A/Project1       Project1
Project1A -a _Project1ForProject1A _UtilsForProject1A

It would of course be simpler if you didn't require the Project1A top
level dir. In that case I'd simply use:

_UtilsForProject1 -d Project1/Utils Common/Utils
Project1A -a Project1 _UtilsForProject1

this should check out as:

Project1
  +-Utils