[cvsnt] CVSROOT question

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Tue Sep 16 15:11:22 BST 2003

> From: rog amos [mailto:strategia_cvsnt_rog at yahoo.ca]
> i noticed though that when i set the CVSOOT with the
> following command:
> set cvsroot=:sspi:<computer name>:/<directory under repository>
>
> that when i close the cmd window and try to checkout a new
> working copy
> that i have to reset the cvsroot variable.
> is this normal

Yes.  To test:

- Open a command prompt
- Set any variable to any value
- Close the command prompt
- Open another command prompt
- Run 'set'.  The setting will have gone, as it is set for the lifetime
of the command prompt.

> is there a way to avoid this?

Right-click My Computer, pick Properties, Advanced, Environment
Variables and add it there, either to the system variables (for all
users) or the user variables (just for you).  Any new command prompt you
start from then on will read the variable.

Hope this helps,

		- Peter